2013/06/25

n00b iPhone app mistakes

#1: ignore the sound switch the user set. Blare loud in the office when I start your app although I switched it mute (talking to you Skype!)

#2: save games. That's so last century. Auto save. Also cloud save so I can reuse it with re-installs or across devices. Thank you.

#3 super long intros. You know that most players don't even remember your company name and really don't care about the licenses you used. Stop doing this shit.

#4: make intros not cancellable. Yes. Let the user look through a 1 minute intro before he can play. Most users uninstalled your game faster than your intro finishes.

#5: full animated cinematic and voiced over sequences. Make your game a 1.8 GB download. Thank you. Enough said? Its a mobile device.

#6: make a mandatory registration. Yes, let me register before I can play and your registration either doesn't work or doesn't like m password or even needs a confirmation email click. Sorry. Uninstall is so much quicker and even user friendly!

#7: before I even finish your tutorial you ask me to rate your game. You know. I don't. Let me take a look at your game first. Thank you.

#8: Don't use incremental updates. Let me patch a 1.2 GB update. Thanks. Took an hour.

#9: Don't give me those updates "bug fixes". Give me a list of bug fixes. I know you just want to reset your ratings, ad placement or trackers.

#10 (Feedback from Tino): When I turn off Notifications I mean OFF. Not "maybe I can notify you again - without asking?"

Having more oddities and don#t likes of games on iOS? Let me know!


5 comments:

Andreas Podgurski said...

Personally, I wouldn't go with #5 (I like big games at least on my pad - e.g. loved to play Drakerider, felt like a native Final Fantasy for mobiles, the Travelers Tale games are as well a big fun there), but the rest is so true...

ma_il said...

I'm currently unable to update or re-install Bard's Tale on my iPad: according to the App Store, the game is 1.4GB (huge already) and although I have 2.3 GB available, it apparently needs more than that as temporary space during installation. Supposing I'd need about 3GB, that's about 1/5 of the available space on a 16GB device. Thank you, developers, indeed.

Andreas Podgurski said...

That's why they sell 64gb devices as well ;). You don't blame the game developer for insufficient space on your X-Box 360 as well, do you?

Sweet Fairy said...

Nice post with helpful details. I really appreciate your idea. Thanks for sharing. Keep it up helping us... ucuz iphone 4

Teut said...

The problem is that the update doesn't tell you in advance. Also makign 1.2 GB updates is n00b. There are tools like Rsynch ...

And regarding the 1.8 GB games: yes I like core games but please make sure you don't waste space for crap voice overs or animated scenes. I don't need those.